Monday, September 1, 2008

Day .:071 - HALF MARATHON!

YEAH!

Okay. So, this is so awesome. It was definitely one of those experiences in life where I had so many feelings that I hope I get to reminisce and capture them all. But here's a sweeping glance at this weekend:

- It was a few hour drive down to VA, and I met up with the Kainos group going camping. Steve-O, who ran in this race last year, helped me out with all the details and snapped some great pics of me in the race (coming soon). I couldn't sleep the night before, and ended up getting about an hour's worth (in a sleeping bag on the ground). And we were up at 4:30 AM to head over to VA beach.

- I ran the halfie in 2 hr. 41 mins. Which isn't awesome by some's athletic standards, but awesome for me. After every few hundred people, there's a pacing team, and I started out for the 1st 3-4 miles behind the 2 hr. 22 min. pacers. Then dropped back a bit to the 2:30. And had to pee. My average pace was about 11 Mi. per mile. Slow n' steady. I finished #10,920 out of 16,336 people.

- I had to use the porto-john at mile 12 and really wish I remembered to latch the door closed. An older lady saw more of me than anyone ever should.

- I broke down and took a "walk break" about 3 times. Steve-O happened to be strategically positioned at miles 11.5 and 13 to yell a well placed "RUUUUN!!!!" to kick me out of my trance.

Thanks so much Steve for all your help through this thing, man. You're the one who originally triggered my "start running" deal 70 days ago, and you've kept me accountable. Thanks also to friends & family for support this far.

Now.....to train for November.....

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well done Andy!! You're an inspiration to us all. Hope all is well. Looks like you're one step closer the marathon run. peace!!

josh said...

agreed. i like to run about 2 or 3 sprints at soccer practice and then keel over and die.
you at least inspire me to say "maybe i....no way, back to the couch."

Andrew said...

Thanks guys :)